Sunday, December 4, 2011

Bent-Con!

Spent much of Saturday at Bent-Con (billed as "like Comic-Con, but gayer") in Downtown Los Angeles.  It was rather small, as conventions go, but fun.  I had the honor of shaking hands with many of my homoerotic-art heroes: Belasco, JJ Kirby, Joe Phillips, Sean Platter, and (genuflect) Patrick Fillion.

I'd made up and brought business cards featuring "Tattooed Love Boy" (see my post dated November 16, 2011, below); and upon handing one to Mr. Fillion, he looked at the picture and said, "That's very good.  Did you draw this?"  Just so we're clear: Patrick Fillion looked at one of my drawings and said, "That's very good."  He also mentioned that he thought I was "very good with [drawing] faces."  Oh, Lordy-Lord.  We talked for ten minutes or so (it was very early in the day, so there were no crowds yet) and we ended with a nice hug - have I mentioned that Patrick is a cutie-pie?

Anyway, I bought a few comic books, got a few autographs (Belasco did a quick sketch of "Boo" next to his signature - SO cool!), and hob-nobbed with my heroes, each and every one of whom turned out to be a really nice guy.

And for the next year or so, whenever I start to feel discouraged, I'll be able to say to myself, "Patrick Fillion liked my drawing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment